Wednesday, September 2, 2009

G.K – THE SELF MADE MAN


TRIBUTE TO PRACTICAL MEN
G.K – THE SELF MADE MAN

(When I lost G.Krishnan- affectionately called GK –I cursed this world. Why some people we dearly love are snatched from us by cruel death? Soon I overcame the depression by looking insight. Life is never just a being- it is relentlessly flowing on through our parents first, then we live through our children and so on. The beauty that men like GK created cannot be dimmed by death. He lives through his grandsons. )

It was Jan 1995. I received greetings from my close friend and relative GK for the New Year. He informed me that his Son has come from America on vacation after completing his MS. I imagined the joy and strength he got with the arrival of his son. He was about to undergo Angie-plasma surgery for enlarging the blood vessels to the heart. He assured me that it is only routine and nothing to fear. What a courageous man he was!

On 10Th I got the shocking news of his death- succumbing to this treatment. First I was dazed unable to believe- only 2-days before I saw him hale and health. I know that at every stage of life people sustain losses- and grow in the process. I felt acute pain for this loss because personally I was very much benefited by his association. He looked after my family when I went to Malaysia to earn.

He looked after the publication works of my Textile Books and many of my interests- all with affection towards me without expecting any return. Apart from the above he created in me interest in our religion. I observed his progress at close quarters from his child hood. Unable to continue beyond his matriculation due to family circumstances he studied Shorthand and Typewriting. After serving few firms he joined BEL at Bangalore as Typist in account section. Promotions in public sector undertaking are invariably given to degree holders.

Krishnan realized that he should get his degree first. After Office hour he studied at evening college and took B.Com degree. The hurdle for promotion was over. Next he thought about family. If he want to give good education to his offspring he must marry a working girl and he married a girl of his choice from BEL. Life was very smooth sailing for GK He associated with Guruvayoor Temple Mandali of BEL and saw a
Temple built for Guruvayoorappan at BEL. He made me to involve in the functions of
this temple.

He used to take family and me to tours to various pilgrimage centers in South India. His meticulous planning and arrangement for stay and all that participated in these tours appreciated food and the comforts provided. To cheer up he will conduct Bhajan or singing devotional songs during the journey thus making the journey enjoyable.
Pilgrimage trips were regular features mainly because of his association. What I
wondered and got inspiration from him was his every year visit to Sabarimala.

In 60 and70s- Ayaappa pooja and visit to Sabarimala were very tough. For 45-days you should observe strict control of your senses, diet restrictions and totally devoted to Lord Ayappa. The process will be complete when with Erumudi by visit to the Temple in Kerala- Sabarimalai. You have to walk all the way from Pampa- to Sabarimala - 14 KMs.

GK visited Sabarimalai number of times. He used to consult me on important personal
matters and on one occasion I asked him whether he would settle down at States with his son? Emphatically he said no. I will always be here doing Bhajans, Poojas and workingfor the welfare of the Association members- he said. Simple with clean habits, morally very strong with selfless service GK lived for a purpose. Younger generation should emulate the qualities of this Self- made man.

Analysis:

GK understood his limitations and worked hard to improve it by higher studies instead of wasting his spare time. This gave opportunity for promotion to Deputy Manager level in a Public Sector Undertaking. He utilized his time for propagation of Bhakthi within himself to purify himself first. His life history is a lesson for people who look forward a guide to improve self.


· Understand the limitation.
· Work for improving.
· Set your thoughts towards higher ideals and work towards them.


The unreal has no existence, and the real never ceases to be; the seers of truth have thus perceived the reality of both. – Bhagavad Gita


R.Jagannathan

No comments:

Post a Comment