Sunday, October 4, 2009

AMERICANS AND POLITICS


INSIGHT AMERICA

AMERICANS AND POLITICS

It was a small matter happened in 1960. My age was 30 and I went to see my Grand Father at a village- Kalyanpuram in Tanjore Dist. AT that time Nehru Government was in the center. There were heated discussions about land Reform and abolition of Mirasdars and the maximum acreage one can hold etc.

It was morning 6.00 and my Grand Father was ready to go to his land at nearby village to oversee the agricultural operation going on. Though the land Reform Act directly applied to him, he was not bothered, showed no interest, and concentrated in his job. He was not interested in Politics. I have moved with him for many years but never had he showed his interest in Politics.

I saw the same attitude in America. Americans are not interested in Politics once they elect the Government of his choice. No front-page importance is given to Politics in news Papers not any media discussions unlike in India.

Look at Los Angeles Times. It is a popular Newspaper in California. Its Sunday edition will normally be of about 560 pages and prices at $1.50. It contains various sections. Main page is Politics Section and let us see the contents.

1.Bush Puts Asia Back at top of Agenda- column size- 2” x 12”
2.Campaign reforms has the parties strategizing- size-2” x 12”
3.Sorting through Truth Fiction in Afghan prison- 10” x 5”
4.No bones about it, the Skelton gives competitors quite a rush- 12” x 6”

The column allotted to Bush is only 2” x 12” where as for Sports 6”x12”.
Once American elects a Government they become a watch dog to see how they are going to improve their lives-by way of reducing taxes, reduction of interest rates etc.,

There is no flag post in every nook and corner of street, no statues, no posters and no political meeting at street corners. They have to face severe penalties if they encroach these places. No one has any right to disturb the individual freedom and privacy.

For ordinary American his work is important and after his works his family and how to improve the position by taking part time jobs. By this, he raises his standard so also the nation.

I used to talk to various level workers in our colony. One worker after cleaning and watering the plants and removing the rubbishes goes to a research lab and work there after his work time. It will take 9.00 PM for him to go home which will be 20 miles away.

There are lot of differences between their Newspaper and ours though we are now following them.

Papers will usually consist of 14-sections.

1.Politics. 2. Entertainment. 3.Nation. 4. Sports News. 5. Foreign Affairs. 6. Commerce and Finance. 7. City Round. 8. Culture. 9. Tourism. 10. Education. 11. Home, Garden. 12. Health & Welfare.

Along with this there are supplementary and advertisement papers.

People call Kennedy rule, Nixon Rule, Reagan rule, Clinton rule, Bush rule etc.

Many humors are about American Election Campaign:

If you want to ask the voters in Hawaii to vote for:
1.Wearing big Pictures in my T-shirt and standing in a four-road junction, I will ask for vote.
2.Get beautiful girls and shake hands with them.
3.Distribute potato chip packets with my pictures on them.

B.What is your main plank?

1.I am always poor.
2.My Declaration- S & # 147 revolution-Works is worship.
3.My name is hope-Guarantee for Belief.
4.I will die for my principles but never desert you-the vote.

C. Why you are not seeing the debate in TV?
1. You are some one-I am some one.
2. I saw the picture of Marlin Monroe
3. I was watching the wrestling match between two beautiful girls.
4. The fight in my house is bigger than civil war- my wife wants divorce.

D From the Mayer who stood many times for election.
1.I will kiss my emblem-Goat- in the middle of the road.
2.Will wish the marriage being held in down town.
3.I will dance with people in down town.
4.Taking the broom on hand-go round the city.

E.What is your Secret for success in election?

1.Do not give cash by bank cheque.
2.Recruit people who can praise you and present them T-Shirt with your photo
3.Remind your people that you speak truth only and nothing but truth.

The significance of American Election is the voter turnout, which is always 96%. It indicates that people are ready to participate in important matters that face the nation.

R.Jagannathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment