Saturday, August 1, 2009

RANGAPPA- THE CIVIL CONTRACTOR




RENGAPPA- THE CIVIL CONTRACTOR

(When I returned from Malaysia I wanted to construct first floor to my house. My friend strongly recommended Rengappa. Rengappa at that time has turned into Civil Contractor from Head Maistry. Un assuming, always punctual, humble and perfectionist- that was Rengappa. There is no wonder that what I earned in Malaysia, he earned much more that in India)


Rengappa, the strong, hefty man as he was - started his career as Mason. With not much education behind him but hard work as his asset he soon attracted the attention of Civil Contractors. Rengappa learnt quickly the mixing technique of cement and sand for various applications from his father who was also a mason. Rengappa used to accompany his father when he goes to purchase bricks, wood for doors and steel rods for the roof. Thus he was able to identify the quality of these products.


He used to sit along with his father when estimates for the building were prepared- thus slowly picking up the very important requirement for a contractor. His father taught him that he should not be over ambitious in this field. Moderate profit is more than enough his father used to repeatedly imbibe on the minds of Rengappa.
Another thing he learnt was on every Saturday his father would settle the wages of labor working under him- whether he was left with something or nothing. This attitude helped his father to get good labor and loyalty.


His father was very amenable to his client. If the client - not satisfied with particular work, he would do it again without charging any thing. Rengappa molded himself on the model of his father. My first contact with Rengappa was in 1970s- when I wanted to construct first floor to my building. Rengappa took me to few buildings he has constructed and I was satisfied with his work and gave the contract.

I used to travel very often; hence I left everything to him. Believe me- he finished 10-square building within 3-months and handed over it to me. He charged me moderate amount and the construction was really good- equal to that of any multi-national company’s work. Apart from the quality of work, his public relationship was excellent. He never gave any problem to my neighbor. He instructed his workers that my neighbor's compound should be cleaned every day before they leave so also that of mine.


The material that he uses for the work will always Standard ones and the selection of
wood – that is so vital for any building – would be well seasoned Wall Finishing and painting is a specialized work. However strong the construction may be it is the finishing that ultimately enhances the beauty of the house. Although Rengappa has not studied much in this regard but he appraised him with all latest techniques and
will apply the same.


Another notable feature in Rengappa Construction is the utilization of space. In
metropolitan cities like Bangalore the land cost is very high. Aware of this factor
Rengappa – would give all the facilities to his clients within the space available.
One day I asked Rengappa – what savings he has made for his family. I was surprised
when he showed some buildings and shops that he owns and the rent he is receiving out
of them. I was astonished that what I have toiled to earn in assignments abroad he was able to do much more than that by remaining in his own place.

Analysis:

Civil Engineering is a field where there is great opportunity to build a lucrative career. Both qualified and non-qualified persons have places in this field like Rengappa. Only thing for success is again your hard work, updating with latest developments, quality of workmanship and above all good public relationship.

· Learn, practice, and master the intricacies.
· Quality should be the byword.
· Good behavior, Respect and modesty – the key to success.


R.Jagannathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment