Tuesday, August 18, 2009

RASHID- The HOUSE THE PAINTER


RASHID- THE PAINTER

(When I met Rashid at Madras Airport I was very much surprised. He immediately came
and paid his respects. Noticing my surprise he told me that he has come from Dubai on
vacation and returning back. He is working there as Painter. He gratefully acknowledged my initial help and chance given to him to become a successful Painter.


Way back in 70s I used to give my house- painting job to one Anthony. Though slow he
was doing job to my satisfaction. But on one occasion I had difference of opinion with him and was looking for alternative. One day this young lad of hardly 18-years knocked at my door and requested me to give him the painting job. The house was also due for painting. I was hesitant first but decided to give him the job inspite of his little experience in this field. The factor weighed in me was – I used to use Plastic Emulsion – which can spread and adjust evenly if the brush is used by inexperienced hands.

Since he is quite raw in the field I went along with him to purchase the materials. When I visited the Shop I was astonished to know that Painting is an art. Right from the choice of suitable colors, brushes and preparing the house for Painting – Painting is a full time job and a good Profession.Since Rashid was doing the Painting independently for the first time I decided to assist him. He brought two youngsters along with him to assist him in his work.

The total area to be painted was 20- squares. That had to be done without disturbing our daily activities –cooking, sending children to schools etc. Rashid was a very active young man and He wanted to do every thing himself – like lifting the table or rearranging the articles to make way for painting. He trained his boys also to handle glass items, radios and TVs gently. He used to cover things so that paint
will not damage them. These qualities impressed me.


First I asked him to scrap the old painting and fill up all the cracks. We sat together and selected the colors to be painted for different rooms. I asked him to paint the bedroom first since even if it is not even – we can pass it on. The first wall he painted looked raw. I gave him encouragement to try second quoting and finally he was able to do the job well in third quoting. Once his hand is able to adjust the brush to give required pressure, then there was no difficulty to progress further. It took one week to complete the painting work. At the end all ended well.

Both Rashid and also people saw the work was satisfied. Immediately my neighbor called him and gave his house painting work. The boy progressed well.I had a brief discussion with him at the airport about his overseas work. He said that he is
working for a multi-national company as Painter. He is the team Leader. The company
has annual contract to pain offices, shopping complexes, Flats. He is provided with
modern equipment like compressor, painting spray guns, automatic ladder etc.
Each divide the work on area basis and finish the work within stipulated time.

For good work they get encouragement by way of additional cash. One time meal is free. He says that he enjoys the work and by the grace of God he is able to maintain his family in India very well. He profusely thanked me for giving opportunity to paint and the initial trial and error experience.


In States and other Western Countries Painting of Offices and other important buildings are left with Professionals. There are many companies who exclusively engaged in this work. Perfection from start to end is the byword for these companies. In India also metropolitan cities are adopting this method. There is great demand for people like Rashid through out the world. It is high time that in India Vocational training is given in this field so that many people can find employment.


Analysis:

Timely encouragement brings forth hidden talents. First experience may not be fully
satisfactory but given time and help these people will be useful to the Society. There are similar jobs like this- Plumbing, Electrical wiring etc. They should be given periodically orientation course so that they can up-date their knowledge.


· Raw stuff is easier to mould.
· Encouragement and tolerance vital for bringing hidden talents.
· Systematic approach and orderly work will enhance reputation.


R.Jagannathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment